Welcome To Augusta Georgia
THE AUGUSTA AREA AT A GLANCE
In 1717, Augusta, a river settlement and busy trading post on the Savannah River, was a focal point for the rapidly expanding land and river commerce in this part of the new world. In 1736 it was given official status by General James Oglethorpe who renamed it Augusta in honor of the wife of the Prince of Wales and ordered the construction of Fort Augusta. St. Paul’s Parish was established by the state. This area was renamed Richmond County after the Duke of Richmond. The westernmost part of Richmond County was laid out in 1790 and named Columbia County in honor of Christopher Columbus.
In 1778, after the fall of Savannah to the British, Augusta became the temporary capital of Georgia. Augusta also served as the capital from 1785 to 1795. The federal constitution was ratified on January 2, 1789, and Augusta was incorporated as a town. It was chartered as a city in 1798.
Following the American Revolution, Augusta boomed in the tobacco economy, then cotton, and by 1820 was the terminus for riverboats, wagon trains, and traders connecting the interior with the sea. Manufacturing began in Augusta in 1828 when the city’s first textile plant was begun with machinery brought from Philadelphia.
The city had no direct military involvement in the Civil War and was a major population center of the state during reconstruction. By 1885, Augusta had a population of nearly 30,000. By the 1900s the area was well established in the vital role it continues to play today in Georgia’s educational, medical, industrial, transportational, and military development.
Augusta has short, mild winters and long, warm summers. The average annual temperature is 65.5°, with the August average being 80.3° and the January average 42.1°. Augusta receives 38.28 inches of precipitation annually.
Richmond and Columbia counties offer a diversity of housing to meet every need. There are more than 900 distinct residential districts in the area, and because of the normal turnover and transfer of industrial, technical, medical and military personnel, there is a variety of residences available for purchase or rental. These residences may be found in the downtown area, the suburbs, and the country.
HOUSE OF WORSHIP
More than 300 houses of worship represent most major faiths and denominations.
In addition to the retail establishments in the central business district, there are over 40 shopping centers in Richmond and Columbia counties that are easily accessible from the residential area. The Augusta Mall opened August 3, 1978 and was built at a cost of $25 million. The building is over 500,000 square feet and contains approximately 90 retail establishments.
AIR – Bush Field is served by Delta, US Airways, Southeast, and Eastern Metro Express airlines with approximately 12 to 15 arriving and departing flights daily. Daniel Field is an in-town utility airfield with fixed-based operations and air taxi service. Charter flights are available.
RAIL – Norfolk Southern Corporation and CXS services business and industry. Services offered include reciprocal switching, transit privileges, piggyback and pickup and delivery of goods.
HIGHWAY - Intestates 20 and 520; U.S. Highways 1, 25, 78, 221, and 278; Georgia Routes 28, 56, 21, 4, 104,88, and 232. There are numerous motor freight lines as well as tank truck lines serving the area, many with locations in the immediate area.
BUS – Greyhound and Southeastern Stages, Inc. provide national bus service, the Augusta Transit Authority serves the city and portions of the county, and there is a bus route to Fort Gordon.
DISTANCE TO MAJOR AREA LOCATIONS:
Savannah, GA 150 miles Charleston, SC 140 miles
Atlanta, GA 145 miles Hilton Head, SC 125 miles
Aiken, SC 25 miles Columbia, SC 70 miles
Athens, GA 70 miles Highlands, NC 140 miles
The Industrial & Economic Development Department of the Greater Augusta Chamber of Commerce assists new, expanding, or relocating industries. Principle industries include chemical, pulp, textile, metalworking, brick and clay and food processing.
The Parks and Recreation Departments of Richmond and Columbia Counties plan and supervise year-round programs for all ages. YWCA and YMCA programs are also offered in the area. Numerous golf courses are in the area. The Richmond County Recreation Department operates swimming pools and tennis courts. Newman Tennis Center offers 18 courts, lessons, and league play. Clarks Hill Reservoir offers a 1,200 mile shoreline and 80,000 acres of impounded water area with sailing, swimming, camping, water-skiing, fishing, and boating. All major professional sports in Atlanta are within easy reach. A full schedule of intercollegiate spectator sports is maintained. Development has continued along Augusta’s riverfront and draws many visitors. The Golf Hall of Fame, the Jesse Norman Amphitheatre, Morris Museum of Art, and many, many restaurants and shops bring people to downtown Augusta. Augusta is also proud of offer….. The Greater Augusta Arts Council, Augusta Opera Association, Augusta Symphony Orchestra, Famous Artists Series, Augusta State University and Paine College Lyceum Series, Augusta Choral Society, The Augusta Ballet, Augusta-Richmond County Museum, The National Science Center, The Augusta Players, and the Fort Gordon Dinner Theatre. The Augusta Regional Library System and its branches offer a broad range of books and visual aids.
Famous for the Augusta National and the Masters Golf Tournament held here each year, Augustans take pride in welcoming visitors from throughout the world to share in this prestigious event.
The $18 million Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center provides a variety of events for the enjoyment of area residents. Such shows as Holiday on ice, Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus, National Barrel Association Finals, and the Augusta Cutting Horse Futurity have been held here, in addition to numerous concerts appealing to all age groups.
Fort Gordon, home of the U.S. Army Signal School, is the largest communications-electronics training center in the world. Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center, the U.S. Army’s regional medical treatment and teaching facility for the southeastern United States is located here.