Medical College Of Georgia
The GA Health Sciences University, also known as simply MCG, is a medical research university located in downtown Augusta, Georgia. It is the smallest of four research schools in the University System of Georgia (USG). MCG currently has 5 undergraduate and graduate schools on campus: The School of Medicine, School of Dentistry, School of Nursing, School of Allied Health, and Graduate Studies.
In 1828, it was chartered by the state of Georgia as the Medical Academy of Georgia, with plans to offer a single course of lectures leading to a bachelor's degree. It opened the following year on October 1st at the Augusta hospital. In December 1829 the school's name was changed to the Medical Institute of Georgia by the Georgia General Assembly, and again to its current name in December 1833, just a few months after the first graduation. In the 1960's, the Board of Regents approved then-chairman Harry B. O'Rear's request for more programs and to offer masters and doctorate degree courses for all programs. This was MCG's largest expansion project to date. The School of Dentistry, the School of Graduate Studies, and the School of Allied Health Science opened right before 1970. In the 1980's, MCG Health developed a 10 year master planned project which included a Ambulatory Care Center and Specialized Care Center, the MCG Children's Hopsital, and the Molecular Medicine and Genetics Center. In 2003, MCG opened the Cancer Research Building and the Health Science Building. Since the 1990's, MCG holds a Level-One Trauma Center and with University Hospital forms a heavily developed medical sector notably known as by many as "the medical district of the south". MCG has also been ranked constantly as one of the best medical schools in the United States. The college is nationally known for it's award-winning doctors and nurses. MCG is currently going through a major $160 million expansion project.